Top Wireframe Tools for UI/UX designers (2019)
Whenever a developer starts creating a website or an app, wireframe tools, play an essential role in the complete development process. The main aspect of the website or app creation is to select the best wireframe tools for UI/UX designers.
Wireframe tools make it easier to understand the design and the working of the actual site. It gets really simple to create a website when you have a roadmap to move on.
I am sure some of you who are new to this field must be wrestling with this wireframe tool term. Right?
What is Wireframe ?
A wireframe is a visual representation of what all is going to be displayed on the site. Wireframe tools are used to bridge the gap which is left after the lexical communication, texts, and drafts.
Why we need Wireframe Tools ?
Have you ever come across a situation where a client asks you to make a website, you have the idea but you are felling it difficult to convey it to your client
Now, here comes the use of wireframe tools or mockup tools. It becomes easy to explain the development process and the hierarchy of the website by using mockup tools or wireframe tools.
There are numerous wireframe tools, and mockup tools available in the market and to give you a simple hold over the best in the pool. Here at TemplateToaster website design software , I have prepared a list of the 16 best wireframe tools for UI/UX designers.
List of Wireframe Tools for UI/UX designers
- Axure RP
- Balsamiq mockups
- Mock Flow
Top Wireframe Tools Compared (2019)
|Wireframe Tools||Free Trial||Offline/Online||Ease of Use||Available for Platform||Starting Price|
|Invision||Free plan||Online||4.4/5||Windows, MacOS||$15/month|
|Wireframe.cc||7 days free trial & Free version||Online||4/5||Browser||$16/month|
|TemplateToaster||Free trial||Offline||4.8/5||Web, Windows||$42.62 one time purchase|
|Mockplus||Free plan||Offline||4/5||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Web, Android||$199/year|
|Axure RP||30 days free trial||Online||4/5||MacOS, Windows, Web||$29/month|
|Balsamiq Mockups||30 days free trial||Online/Offline||4.5/5||Web||$89 one time purchase|
|Justinmind||Free trial & Free plan||Online/Offline||4.5/5||Browser||$19/month|
|Fluid UI||Free tier||Online||4.1/5||Browser||$15/month|
|Mock Flow||Free plan||Online/Offline||3/5||MacOS, Windows||$14/month|
|UXPin||Up to 30 days free trial||Online/Offline||3.5/5||Windows, Browser, MacOS, iOS, Unix, Android||$19/month|
|Proto.io||Free trial||Online||3.7/5||Browser, Android||$24/month|
|Canva||Free plan||Online||4.5/5||iOS, Browser||$12.95/month|
|OmniGraffle||14 days free trial||Online||4/5||iOS, Browser, MacOS||$99 one time license|
|Marvel||Free plan||Online||4.8/5||Android, iOS, Browser||$12/month|
|Gliffy||14 days free trial||Online||4.3/5||Browser||$7.99/month|
Wireframe Tools for UI/UX designers (Reveiw)
1. TemplateToaster – ($49) wireframe tool
TemplateToaster is and desktop-based wireframe tool. Leave the dilemma of coding and debugging behind and lay the foundation of a strong website with amazing wireframe built with TemplateToaster.
- TemplateToaster support every CMS. It is really simple and easy to create and customize a CMS website mockup.
- It has two paid plans, Standard and Professional.
- TemplateToaster has a huge library of pre-built templates, built-in icon set, and stock images.
- If you wish to start from scratch then you will have a range of fonts and styling options to make that one unique piece for your website Mockup.
- A huge number of pre-designed mockups with an easy learning curve.
- Wireframes or mockups created with TemplateToaster are responsive in nature, that works well on every device irrespective of the size of the device.
- A user can easily interact with all the elements which are present in the mockup. As the mockups are more of a real website.
- The redirection from one page to the other is as real as in the live site. A user can easily play with the links added in the mockups for testing purpose.
- After exporting you can upload it to the server and ask for client feedback.
2. InVision ($15 – $99/month)
InVision is a cloud-based solution for designing a wireframe for a website or an app. InVision is considered as an ideal choice for the high-fidelity designs. InVision provides the great prototyping tools and features that enable a user to create a fully functional prototype.
Pros of Invision wireframe tool
- Support iOS, Android, and web platforms.
- Lets you create a clickable prototype.
- Constructing a prototype from scratch is quick and easy with InVision.
- The easy drag and drop functionality gives easier access to the images and sketches to move them from one place to another.
- Smooth collaboration. You can easily share the link with the other designers and can get instant feedback.
- Paid plans start from $15 per month to $99 per month
Cons of Invision wireframe tool
- Free plan has a limitation of creating only a single active prototype.
- Limited to a single user only.
3. Moqups ($13 – $15/month)
Moqups is a purely web-based platform used to create a wireframe for web and mobile applications. The biggest advantage of the web-based platforms is that you can work anywhere. It allows you to create prototype and diagrams as well.
Pros of Moqups wireframe tool
- It supports platforms like iOS, Android, Web, MacOs, and Windows.
- Moqups has drag and drop the pre-made templates for easy access.
- Thousands of prevailing Icon-sets available to use.
- Plenty of styling and font options are easily accessible.
- Comes with integrated stencil kits to use.
- The paid plans start from $13 to $19 per month with a defined number of users.
Cons Moqups wireframe tool
- Moqups allow a single project in its free version.
- Only 5 MB of storage.
- Limited to 300 objects only.
4. Wireframe.cc ($16/month)
Wireframe.cc is a simple and an organized wireframe tool. The clean interface doesn’t include many icons and toolbar like all other wireframe tools is its major advantage. It gives you the freedom to sketch down your ideas as raw as they come to your mind.
Pros of Wireframe.cc
- Wireframe.cc gives you the flexibility to draw whatever you feel like with a mouse. Just drag your mouse over the canvas and create your world.
- You will get a number of stencils to choose from.
- Clean and simple features that don’t include complicated handling.
- And are capable to deliver a fantastic final result.
- Each wireframe that you save gets a URL which you can further share and this is available with paid version only.
- 7 days free trial is available with Wireframe.cc.
Cons of Wireframe.cc
- Under free version, you won’t be allowed to create a user account.
- All the wireframes created under free version will public by default.
- You can create single-page wireframe only.
5. Mockplus ($199)
Pros of Mockplus wireframe tool
- Mockplus support all platforms from iOS, Android, and web apps.
- It is a low-fidelity prototyping tool.
- It has over 200 components and more than 3000 icons with easy drag and drop facility.
- Mockplus offers you a variety of ways to share and test your wireframes or prototypes.
- No coding, no learning just drag and drop and create interactive prototypes or wireframes.
Cons of Mockplus wireframe tool
- It allows only a single user in the free version
- No cloud storage.
- No remarks, no page tagging, no email notification.
- Limited icon resources.
- You can’t export your project.
- No customer service available under free version.
6. Axure RP ($29/month)
Axure RP is a great tool for creating an interactive prototype and static wireframes. It’s been around for more than a decade now. Axure RP is a great source to evaluate the web or mobile applications. When you have such a good prototyping tool with you then the effectiveness of the final product is 100% ensured.
Pros of Axure RP Wireframe tool:
- It works on both the windows and MacOS.
- You can easily drag and drop the elements from the given inbuilt library.
- Gives you the freedom to test the prototype on the mobile devices. Whereas, it does create a problem with the device compatibility.
- It is also used to create high fidelity results so that the end result can be tested via a realistic prototype.
- It provides the great level of intricacy for the prototype.
- Axure RP offers 3 paid plans to choose from.
- Axure RP offers you a 30-days free trial. And the other 3 versions are paid.
7. Balsamiq Mockups ($89) – popular wireframe tool
Balsamiq mockups is a rapid wireframe tool that lets the designer design a wireframe faster. It provides you with the same original feeling of sketching with a pencil but with a touch of a digital medium.
Pros of Balsamiq mockups tool
- It supports platforms like MacOS, Windows, Web-based.
- Provides you easy to use drag and drop interface for simple handling.
- Balsamiq mockups have low-fidelity wireframes to offer so that you can easily focus on the usefulness.
- It gives you the opportunity to print the prototypes and run the online user tests.
- Balsamiq mockups have a lot of sketch skins and wireframe skins.
- You can easily work with Google Drive for mock file creation.
- You will get a huge repository of UI elements.
- It is a comprehensive wireframe tool.
- It facilitates you to work offline as well.
- Easily collaborated with third-party apps.
Cons of Balsamiq mockups tool
- Balsamiq mockups offer 30-days free trial.
- Restricted access to the UI elements.
8. Justinmind ($19)
The most incredible prototype solution suitable for every screen. Justinmind is the best option to create a prototype. Justinmind is capable enough to deliver both a fully operational prototype or a clickable mockup.
Pros of Justinmind wireframe tool
- It is compatible with Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS.
- Gives you high-fidelity website wireframes.
- It has over 500 web and mobile widgets in the built-in library.
- Over 1500+ UI elements for iOS, Android, and Web.
- It gives you an elegant prototyping result.
- You can create interactive wireframes with the help of animations and interactions all without worrying about the code.
- It has other two paid variants.
- You can test your wireframe on the real mobile devices and get the real-time response of your users.
Cons of Justinmind wireframe tool
- In the free version of Justinmind lacks the all the features and just give you a vague idea about the exact working of the tool.
9. Fluid UI ($15) – best mockup tool
Pros of Fluid UI wireframe tool
- Fluid is a browser-based prototyping tool.
- Fluid UI has three paid plans, which you can choose as per your needs.
- It supports platforms like Android and iOS.
- Easy version maintenance feature.
- You can test your wireframe on any device.
- Over 2000 built-in components to choose from.
- Live video calling and Skype chat feature to get the user feedback.
- You are free to use transitions and animations in your wireframes.
- Fluid UI has a unique feature that lets a user interact with the UI design via different screens such as Mobile, Tablet, Desktop, and Wearables such as Apple watch, Android and Galaxy wear.
Cons of Fluid UI wireframe tool
- Fluid UI has a free plan called Free Forever and it includes only 1 project in its lifetime.
- It allows you to create only 10 pages.
- You can’t upload.
- No video presentation.
- No comments and feedback.
10. MockFlow ($14)
MockFlow is a web app based solution to create wireframes with drag and drop editor. It uses the Adobe Flash platform. Along with the free version it has other 3 paid versions which include more features. The clean and minimalistic interface is the major highlight of this mockup tool.
Pros of MockFlow wireframe tool
- You can drag and drop the components into the mockup and design a wireframe.
- It allows you to choose third-party components, layouts, and templates.
- You can get real-time reviews and feedback from your users by granting them the editorial power of your choice.
- MockFlow’s user community is free to share the third-party components via an add-on service.
- You are free to use any custom image for your wireframe along with the images present in the library.
- It is quite easy to use.
- You can easily export created wireframes to a range of formats.
Cons of MockFlow wireframe tool
- The free version offers only one project in all tools.
- And only 2 reviews to that project.
- They put limitations on the app usage as well.
- No customer support.
11. UXPin ($19)
UXPin is every designer’s favorite wireframe tool. Its flexibility and the ease of use are the two basic reasons that make it more likable and popular among the designers. It is a cloud-based wireframe tool.
Pros of UXPin wireframe tool
- It works well with Windows, iOS, Android, Bootstrap, and Foundation.
- You can get a robust and interactive wireframe and prototypes with UXPin.
- The simple drag and drop functionality will let you allow to drag the icons, custom UI elements, and images to enhance a wireframe.
- Creating high-fidelity mockups is quite easy with UXPin.
- Authorizes you to customize the existing UI elements just instantly by altering or adding custom CSS code.
- UXPin has 1000+ UI elements for the web, cloud-based, and mobile wireframes.
- Four different plans are available with UXPin that too for different prices and including different features.
Cons of UXPin wireframe tool
- Three out of four plans offers you a free trial. And in order to get that trial on, you need to login first.
- Basic the plan, minimal the interaction, and higher the plan, maximum the interaction.
12. Proto.io ($24)
Proto.io is entirely browser-based prototyping tool. And such tools are not everyone’s cup of tea. But surely good enough to make it to my workable list of prototyping tools. Proto.io is easy to learn and work with. Give your static designs and wireframes the next level of performance.
Pros of Proto.io mockup tool
- Proto.io support Mac and Windows.
- There are four paid plans included in Proto.io.
- It gives you high fidelity interaction experience while working with complex logic and structure.
- You will get to use a lot of mobile gestures, animations, and transitions.
- It allows you to test the prototype on the mobile device and then making changes to it.
- There’s a huge library of UI elements present in Proto.io.
- Proto.io offers you Sketch import and Dropbox synchronization.
Cons of Proto.io mockup tool
- A 15-days trial period is there in Proto.io
- Limited access to all the feature.
Bonus Wireframe Tools and Mockup Tools
13. Canva ($12.95)
Canva is another web-based wireframe tool. It makes it easy for you to create an effective wireframe for your website. Canva is the best tool to convert your ideas into wireframes.
Pros of Canva mockup tool
- You can design your wireframe in a matter of a few minutes.
- Offers you apps for both iOS and Android.
- Save your time with drag and drop interface. Simply drag the grid or image or stock photos etc. and drop it at the desired place.
- Library has many ready-to-use wireframe layouts.
- You can share your wireframe via email or by sending a wireframe link to anyone.
- It is up to you if you want others to make edits and collaborate your design or not.
Cons of Canva mockup tool
- Offers only you 30-days free trial to analyze it.
- It also has a free plan which is free for the lifetime but with very limited features.
- You will get only 1GB storage for photos and assets under forever free plan.
- Only 8,000 templates are accessible under this plan.
14. OmniGraffle ($99)
If you are looking for the best tool to design your website wireframe, diagrams, page layouts, then OmniGraffle should be your choice. And when it comes to working with Mac then nothing can beat it.
Features of OmniGraffle Wireframe tool
- OmniGraffle is available for MacOS and iOS only.
- You will get a huge library of stencils to choose from. Also, you can easily customize a given stencil.
- There are three paid versions of the OmniGraffle that you can buy by paying a certain amount.
- A little steeper learning curve.
- It is a beautiful tool to make diagrams and drawing application.
- Simple drag and drop environment to create fully functional wireframes, UI mockups, flow chart etc.
Cons of OmniGraffle Wireframe tool
- 14 days trial offer.
- It is accessible for Apple users only be it Mac or iPhone.
15. Marvel ($12)
Marvel is one of the best website prototype tools. Marvel has a lot to offer you such as standard support for sketch and photoshop files. Create your designs and easily add them to a Marvel library.
Pros of Marvel wireframe tool
- It is fully compatible with iOS and Android.
- It has 4 plans available at different prices with the different set of features.
- It gives you the freedom to test your design on any size screen including an Apple watch.
- Anyone can send feedback in the form of comments to your prototype.
- It offers an easy collaboration.
Cons of Marvel wireframe tool
- A single user is allowed.
- You can have only 2 active projects.
16. Gliffy ($7.99)
Gliffy is a web-based application that lets you create website wireframes, technical drawings, network diagrams and much more. It is used to create UML diagrams and flowcharts. It gives you real-time editing of diagrams.
Pros of Gliffy wireframe tools
- Gliffy has Venn diagrams that help you create an organization’s diagrams.
- It has 3 paid versions available.
- These Venn diagrams help in creating a wonderful wireframe.
- It has an easy drag and drop interface.
- It facilitates you to protect the accidental change and track changes.
- Sharing the wireframe at any platform with anyone is quite easy with Gliffy.
- In case of paid accounts it has support for the GON, VDX, and GXML files.
Cons of Gliffy wireframe tool
- You get only a 14-days trial period.
- Limited access to the features.
Which Website Wireframe Tools or Mockup Tools do you use for wireframing?
After going through the aforementioned best website wireframe tools the question is which website wireframe tools would you use? Yes, I would want to know your favorite website mockup tool. All the wireframe tools are different in some or the other manner; however, they all are highly functional. So, choosing one for your website depends on your requirements.
I hope you enjoyed reading this wireframe tools article as much as I enjoyed writing it. And if you’re still unsure about the website mockup tools, then feel free to reach me. Or you can leave your questions in the comments below. I will help you select the one according to your needs.
Because the best wireframe tools depends on the type of project you are about to work on. For more updates keep checking this space.You may also read list of web design softwares.