Best WordPress GDPR Plugins
Are you looking for the comprehensive WordPress GDPR plugins? I have curated a list of the best GDPR plugins for WordPress that will really speed up the process. The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) privacy regulation issued by the European Union (EU) has made it compulsory to make every WordPress website GDPR proof. In this guide, I have listed some of the cherry-picked solutions for you. So, let’s check them out.
After successfully installing a plugin, you can easily start showing cookie consent. Moreover, you can employ another layer of protection to guard your data and keep the user information safe.
What is GDPR?
It states that every website serving the European Union region users is obligated to follow the GDPR. No matter if you are a European resident or not but if you are serving or expanding your business in the European region, you have to make sure that your site is completely GDPR compliant.
What is WordPress GDPR Compliance?
This means you must follow the data protection principle while creating any new product or launching any new site. This also means that you can not use any user’s personal information, store it, or sell it to any advertiser unless you can justify it.
Best WordPress Plugins for GDPR Compliance
1. GDPR Cookie Consent
The GDPR Cookie Consent plugin is the best WordPress plugin that helps you make your WordPress site comply with GDPR. This plugin facilitates you to include a customizable cookie consent notification on your website. However, the consent bar can also be used to inform users about cookie usage. Moreover, you can include the link to the policy page as well.
- You can display customizable cookie consent notifications.
- It lets you display a notice with Accept and Reject options.
- It allows you to even block the cookies if the users have not given their consent.
- WPML compatible.
- You can place the cookie bar either in the header or footer.
- Delay is configurable.
- Consent withdrawal.
- It allows you to show a consent bar only for European Union users.
- You can easily manage cookie categories.
- Highly compatible with caching servers.
- You can permanently dismiss the cookie banner.
- It does not block all cookies.
2. GDPR Cookie Compliance
GDPR Cookie Compliance is one of the simplest WordPress plugins available. This plugin helps you provide cookie information to your users. More so, it will help you control what cookies are stored. You can use this plugin to ask for user consent also. It allows you to use the entirely customizable fonts, colors, and your own logos to your website.
How to Install GDPR Cookie Compliance
Here are the steps to install GDPR Cookie Compliance with your site.
Step 1: Download it through your WordPress dashboard only.
However, you can check out the steps to install a WordPress plugin here if you are not sure about it.
Step 2: Activate the plugin.
Step 3: Head to GDPR Cookie Compliance main menu link and adjust all the settings.
You can set the plugin as per your requirements. You are all set to use the plugin however you like.
- Easily editable – You can easily change the text.
- Fully customizable – You can upload your own logos, use colors of your choice, and use fonts of your choice.
- You can choose between two unique layouts.
- It lets you set the position cookie consent banner either at the top or at the bottom of the page.
- You can also include the Accept and Reject button.
- It lets you manage the consent expiration settings.
- You can share your custom settings between sites with ease.
- It completely supports the caching server.
- It is a free plugin to use.
- It has a beautifully simple user interface.
- All designs are mobile responsive.
- It is available in ten languages.
- This plugin does not support subdomains.
3. Cookie Notice for GDPR & CCPA
This Cookie Notice for GDPR & CCPA is one of the widely used WordPress plugins. It allows you to sophisticatedly inform users that your site is using cookies. That further helps you comply with the European Union General Data Protection Regulation cookie law and CCPA policies. You can effectively and effortlessly create your custom cookie messages to announce the usage of cookies on your WordPress website.
- There is an option to create custom cookie messages.
- It is fully GDPR compliant.
- Completely SEO friendly environment.
- There is an option to set on a scroll offset.
- It lets you animate the message box after the cookie is accepted.
- It allows you to set the text and bar background colors.
- Polylang and WPML compatible.
- It is a free WordPress plugin.
- It lets you revoke user consent.
- You can position the cookie message box.
- You can choose between three button styles.
- More advanced features are available in the pro plan.
4. iubenda – Cookie and Consent Solution for the GDPR & ePrivacy
This Cookie and Consent Solution for the GDPR & ePrivacy WordPress plugin is an all-in-one solution. It consists of the functionality of two robust alternatives to make your website fully GDPR as well as ePrivacy compliant. It comes with an entirely customizable cookie banner. However, it allows you to automate the implementation of GDPR and ePrivacy by blocking scripts. Managing cookie consent is pretty easy with it.
- It enables you to record, review, and manage the GDPR records of consent for your web-forms.
- You can easily manage the cookie-related consent including the widgets and third-party cookies before the consent is received.
- Making your site GDPR compliant is a cakewalk with iubenda.
- It also auto-detects and limits prior-blocking.
- It supports the California Consumer Policy Act (CCPA).
- Smooth integration with Transparency and Consent Framework (TCF).
- It comes with a beautiful interactive user interface.
- It is a free WordPress plugin.
- It provides you with a fully customizable cookies banner.
- The user interface is highly interactive.
- It comes with built-in compatibility with Contact Form 7, WP Forms.
- Since it is a free plugin, so, there’s no phone support.
GDPR is another popular WordPress plugin meant to meet the data regulations and make your site GDPR compliant. It makes the personal data accessible to the owner of the site and helps them to adhere to GDPR regulations. It is specifically meant to provide aid to Controllers, Data Protection Officers, and Data Processors to effortlessly make your site GDPR comply.
- It comes with Privacy Preference management for cookies with banner notification.
- It allows you to re-assign the user data on deletion requests.
- Easy telemetry tracker for visualizing.
- It gives you the right to access data by the data subject.
- You can use the emails to access the data from the admin dashboard.
- It gives you permission to publish the contact information.
- The Admin is allowed setting the outgoing email limitation.
- Effortless consent management.
- Cookies can be activated or blocked based on user preference.
- Easy opt-out-link management.
- Data breach notification logs.
- Support can be a concern for some since it is an open-source WordPress plugin.
6. Complianz GDPR/CCPA Cookie Consent
Complianz GDPR/CCPA Cookie Consent is another powerful comprehensive GDPR management WordPress plugin. In order to manage customer privacy and make your site abide by General Data Protection Regulation, you can use this plugin. It also provides you several other useful features such as Geo IP cookie consent, Consent statistics, built-in website scanning functionality, and a lot more.
- It comes with smooth integration with WP Consent API.
- You can easily configure a cookie notice for a specific region.
- You may also use one cookie notice across the globe.
- It automatically detects whether or not you need a cookie notice.
- It comes with a periodical cookie scan if you need to make any changes to the cookie.
- Seamless integration with WordPress privacy features.
- It includes cookie pop-ups.
- It is a free WordPress plugin.
- You can manage your cookies with the Tag manager.
- You can easily block third-party cookies such as Instagram, Facebook, Recaptcha, Google Map, Twitter, and many more.
- More advanced features come with the premium plan.
7. EU Cookie Law for GDPR/CCPA
The other plugin in the list is EU Cookie Law for GDPR/CCPA WordPress plugin. It is an amazingly lightweight and elegant WordPress solution to make your site fully compliant with European Union (EU) GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) with ease. It is coupled with several useful features such as popup and alternatives to the lock scripts before they are benign accepted.
- EU Cookie Law for GDPR plugin offers you many customization options to make this plugin suitable for your site.
- It lets you control cookies both before and after the consent.
- You can quickly configure this WordPress plugin.
- It comes with a customizable banner where you can alter the color, strings, and position as per your choice.
- It has a beautiful responsive design.
- It provides you effortless compatibility with Disqus and Jetpack, InfiniteScroll.
- It also has a shortcode to revoke cookie consent.
- You can easily manage this plugin on your site.
- It is really simple to configure.
- This WordPress plugin is free to use.
- You may have to compromise a little when it comes to cache compatibility.
If you are in a hurry, check out this quick catchup on the top WordPress GDPR plugins.
Best WordPress GDPR Plugins Comparison Table 2020
|Key Differences||GDPR Cookie Consent||GDPR Cookie Compliance||iubenda – Cookie and Consent Solution for the GDPR & ePrivacy||Complianz | GDPR/CCPA Cookie Consent||GDPR|
|Tested Up to||5.4.1||5.4.1||5.3.3||5.4.1||5.4.1|
|Total Language Support||18||10||8||19||14|
8. WP Forms
WP Forms is one of the widely used contact form plugins. At the same time, it has become the best GDPR plugin for WordPress sites. It lets you prevent cookies and with just a matter of a few clicks. However, there’s another field that lets you add a GDPR Agreement field. And you can easily add a consent box to your forms. This feature is really useful when you have to use this information with your email marketing software or CRM software.
- WP Forms offers you a drag & drop form builder.
- It has completely responsive designs.
- It comes with a quick and easy Google Analytics setup.
- You can see the real-time statistics in your WordPress dashboard.
- It allows you to create survey forms and polls for your WordPress site.
- You can easily view the posts and pages.
- WP Forms allows you to lock your WordPress forms with permissions.
- It is compatible with hundreds of add ons.
- You can include geo-location to your site.
- It is a totally GDPR compliant plugin for WordPress.
- You can use custom and math captcha for your site.
- It allows you to use other add-ons with your site.
- It does not have any free plan.
- Money-back is limited to 14 days only.
How to Choose the Best WordPress GDPR Plugin?
All the above-listed WordPress plugins are fairly loaded with features and functionalities that you would need to create a fully GDPR ready website. However, as I have already mentioned in this guide, the top features, pros as well as cons of all the plugins. Thus, you can easily choose the best plugin that can help you serve your site users worry-free.
You can check out the list and make sure your chosen plugin is capable of providing:
- The right to inform your users about the information you are collecting from them.
- It has the right rectification.
- It should include the right to data portability.
- Restricting unauthorized processing.
- Right in relation to automated data handling.
However, you should consider using both WordPress GDPR and GDPR Cookie Consent as your first options.
Note: I am not a lawyer and I do not guarantee that your site will be 100% compliance. Instead, I strongly recommend you to GDPR law in some detail.
WordPress GDPR Plugins – Final Thoughts
I hope this guide has helped you learn about the WordPress GDPR compliance pretty well. However, the main objective of this guide is to make you aware of the GDPR and show you how GDPR law works on your website. Every website has its own reasons to collect user information. Thus, it is surely not possible for a single plugin to serve you well. Here in this guide, I have mentioned some of the best free WordPress GDPR plugins to choose from. All these plugins are feature-rich and are capable of providing you a fully GDPR compliant website.
However, in this article, I have tried to demystify the General Data Protection Regulation. Also, I hope I was able to make it less overwhelming for beginners as well as SMEs concerned about GDPR compliance. You can quickly use any of these WordPress GDPR plugins and make your site ready for European traffic. And don’t forget to share with me which GDPR plugin did you install to make your WordPress site GDPR-ready in the comments below.
Build a Stunning Website in Minutes with TemplateToaster Website BuilderCreate Your Own Website Now