8 Best WordPress Sitemap Plugins : Free and Paid(2018)
The sitemap 0.9 protocol was introduced by www.sitemaps.org and it is the standard that Google and all other major search engines use. Sitemaps are typically XML files and they are usually stored in the root folder of the website. They help in extending the accessibility and visibility of your web content by search engines. There are some WordPress Sitemap plugins that you can use to automatically generate sitemaps. you can also go through Best WordPress Google Maps Plugins of 2018. Here at Templatetoaster WordPress website builder showcases list of the best WordPress sitemap plugins.
List of the Best WordPress Sitemap Plugins
- Google XML Sitemaps
- Google Sitemap by BestWebSoft
- Simple Sitemap
- WP Sitemap Page
- Simple WP Sitemap
- XML sitemap and Google news feeds
- Better WordPress Google XML Sitemap
- WP Realtime Sitemap
The Best WordPress Sitemap Plugins in detail
1. Google XML Sitemaps (Free)
With over 1 million active installations, this is arguably the most used WordPress sitemap plugins. Google XML Sitemaps plugin does exactly what the name insinuates – it automatically generates XML sitemaps and notifies the top search engines including Google, Bing, Yahoo and ASK.com to crawl your website as soon as you post a new blog. This plugin is free and the developers depend on users’ free-will donations to maintain it.
- The plugin is free, Simple and lightweight so it will not break or slow down your site
- No file changes or PHP skills required
- Generates a zipped version as well as a static XML files
- Available in multi- languages
- It might not work very well with Nginx servers
2. Google Sitemap by BestWebSoft (Free & Paid)
Google Sitemap by BestWebSoft plugin is ideal for making WordPress Sitemaps then uploading them manually to the Google search console. There are over 100,000 active installs of the plugin with an average user rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars. If you want to exclude some of the pages from the sitemap generated, you will have to get the premium version. In addition to selection the pages to omit, other premium features include multi-site compatibility as well as premium support.
- It has comprehensive video documentation
- You can automatically add a path to your sitemap in the robots.txt file
- You can integrate Google search console to add a website, add a sitemap, get website information and delete a website
- Fast and reliable support only available for premium users
- Might have some errors when used with bbPress forums
3. Simple Sitemap (Free & Paid)
Simple Sitemap is arguably the easiest sitemap generator to use and it t serves two purposes; Firstly, it displays the sitemap at a designated location on your website. This allows users to easily locate content on your website. Secondly, the sitemap generated will be used by search engines for crawling the website. Once you have installed and activated the plugin, all you have to do is add the shortcode [simple-sitemap] in a widget, post or page and you are good to go.
- Very easy and fast to use even for a novice. You can use it to display the sitemap on your website for your visitors to know where certain posts, pages are located
- You can use it to display the sitemap on your website for your visitors to know where certain posts, pages are located
- Adding some aesthetics to the HTML sitemaps is only limited to the premium version
4. WP Sitemap page (Free & paid)
WP Sitemap Page is another great plugin for adding an HTML sitemap on your website. This plugin is a bit different from the other WordPress sitemap plugins because it is only for the generation of sitemaps to be used by the human user and not for search engines. It will therefore only improve navigation and readability for your human users and not Google.
- It helps achieve easier user navigation
- The plugin supports various languages including Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch, Russian, and English.
- Does not generate XML sitemaps
5. Simple WP sitemap (Free)
Simple WP Sitemap plugin generates both HTML and XML sitemaps in real-time. In other words, sitemaps are generated whenever someone visits a certain page or post on the website. The sitemap will not be generated a moment before or even a moment later. This way, you will be guaranteed of always having an up-to-date sitemap. One big difference it has with other sitemap generators is the ability to add other HTML files in the sitemap generated. The only requirement is that the HTML file should be in the same root folder with your website.
- It will always generate up-to-date sitemaps so there will be no crawl errors due to broken links
- It shows all the crawlers what you want them to see in a short time
- Since the sitemaps are literally made only when a user visits a resource, this plugin is a little bit more CPU intensive than its peers.
6. XML Sitemap & Google News feeds (free)
XML sitemap and Google news feeds plugin creates two different types of sitemaps. It does this silently so the webmaster will not have to go through a tedious setup process. You just install and activate it and you will automatically have your sitemap.xml file in your root folder. You won’t even be required to edit file permissions or make complicated plugin tweaks.
- Automatically creates a sitemap that adheres to the Google news feeds protocol.Works seamlessly with your default permalink structure to generate sitemap URL
- Works seamlessly with your default permalink structure to generate sitemap URL
- Bigger sites might need the use of caching plugins for the plugin to work properly.
7. Better WordPress Google XML Sitemaps
Better WordPress Google XML Sitemap is a lightweight sitemap plugin that is not resourceful intensive and has an option of extending via custom user modules. Once you have installed and activated the plugin, you can pre-define the search engines you need to ping and from then on, the plugin will automatically ping those search engines each time you post some new content. It even allows you to use custom post types as well as custom taxonomies.
- You can create a sitemap index, i.e. a sitemap that has several groups
- It supports multi-sites
- You can create custom sitemaps using modules
- In isolated cases, Google might crawl non-news posts as news even after submission of news sitemap
8. WP Realtime Sitemap
WP Realtime Sitemap is a great pick If you are looking for WordPress sitemap plugins that can help you generate aesthetically appealing sitemaps showing your posts, pages, archives, tags and categories. It is a very easy to use and you do not require any coding knowledge to generate and output the sitemap on an HTML page. The settings page of the plugin allows you to order the sitemap items as you wish and also gives the option of eliminating whatever you deem unnecessary for your sitemap.
- You can define a limit to the number of posts, pages archives, tags, and categories to display
- You can order the output in any way you want on the settings page
- You can rename the different sitemap pages, posts, tags, categories and tags differently from the way they are named in the backend
- It does not generate XML sitemaps
Choosing a WordPress Sitemap Plugins?
As you might have seen, the WordPress sitemap plugins are unique in their own right. The choices for the best sitemap plugin, therefore, depends on what you intend to achieve with your plugin. For instance, do you want a sitemap solely for SEO purposes or do you also need a plugin that generates an HTML sitemap for the benefit of your human visitors?
Side note: XML files are also used by WordPress to import demo theme content. It is, therefore, a good idea to use themes that have XML file support. Folks who require quick actions, TemplateToaster website builder and WordPress theme builder is a powerful theme generator that automatically creates XML files for every template you create.
Best Drag and Drop interface to Design stunning WordPress Themes with Automatic and Clean Website Sitemap.
Build a Stunning Website in Minutes with TemplateToaster Website BuilderCreate Your Own Website Now