9 Best WordPress Brute Force Protection Plugins (2020)
Brute Force attack is the scariest thing for any website owner. Especially when your site is running on a WordPress, it becomes a pool of opportunities for wrongdoers. Therefore, it becomes the primary need of a developer to keep the list of best WordPress Brute Force Protection Plugins within reach. The Brute Force Protection Plugin for WordPress is great help you to protect your WordPress website or Lock out bad guys.
WordPress is the world’s largest blogging platform. However, you can never know when the malicious mind will hack your site. Because it doesn’t matter how much traffic is on your site, you may at any time be a victim of Brute Force attack. Therefore, you should keep your site safe and secure with a WordPress Brute Force Protection Plugin.
Weak passwords are one of the major loopholes that lead to website hacking. And that is where you need an extra layer of brute force protection of your site from the hackers.
Here at TemplateToaster website maker i have pinned down the best WordPress Brute Force protection Plugins for you. And before I introduce the list to you, here is a brief about brute force attack.
What is a Brute Force Attack?
In this digital world, Brute force attack is a hit and trial method used to decode login credentials of a website. The hackers use an automated software that tries repetitive consecutive attempts to gain access to a website or a server. And the software keeps trying the unique combinations until it gets in. Check out best WordPress firewall plugins, best WordPress security plugins, Sucuri vs Cloudflare, CDN services.
So, there are chances that your website can be hacked. With massive speed and recursive actions, attackers might get successful guessing your username and password. That being said, enforcing an additional layer of security is required to deflect any breach attempts.
WordPress has become a widely used platform in the digital world due to its flexibility and the availability of a number of plugins. As per BuiltWith and W3Techs WordPress Powers around 31 percent of all websites on the internet. Now that the internet is flooded with the WordPress website so it is required to take Brute Force protection measures to keep them safe and secure.
Here at TemplateToaster Website builder,I have listed down some of the best WordPress Brute Force Protection Plugins to give you complete protection against brute force attack.
Let’s have a look.
But wait, if you want to see the comparison between the Brute Force Protection Plugins for WordPress then you can skim the following comparison chart for a quick understanding.
Best WordPress Brute Force Protection Plugins Compared (2020)
|WordPress brute force protection Plugins||Active Installs||Required WordPress version||Tested up to||Ratings|
|Limit Login Attempts Reloaded||100,000+||3.0||4.9.8||4.6/5|
|WP Limit Login Attempts||40,000+||3.0||4.9.8||4.6/5|
|Brute Force Login Protection||20,000+||2.7.0||4.8.7||4.3/5|
|Limits Attempts by Best Web Soft||10,000+||3.9||4.9.8||4.6/5|
|Limit Login Attempts||5,000+||2.0.2||4.9.8||3.7/5|
|WPS Limit Login||2000+||4.2||4.9.8||5/5|
|BruteGuard – Brute Force Login Protection||100+||4.4||4.9.8||5/5|
As you can see in the above chart I have mentioned the best WordPress Brute Force Protection Plugins and their comparison with each other along with their overall ratings.
Now let’s understand each Brute Force Protection Plugins plugin one by one.
List of the best WordPress Brute Force Protection Plugins
- Login LockDown
- Limit Login Attempts Reloaded
- WP Limit Login Attempts
- Brute Force Login Protection
- Limit Attempts
- Limit Login Attempts
- WPS Limit Login
Best WordPress Brute Force Protection Plugins in detail
1. Loginizer – Brute force proctection plugins
Loginizer is one of the best open source and free brute force login protection plugin for WordPress. And Loginizer has enormous 700,000+ active installs. It is filled with many effective features to protect your site from any malicious attack.
- 700,000+ active installs for Loginizer.
- It aids you to Whitelist or Blacklist users as per their involvement to your site.
- It uses reCAPTCHA, two-factor authentication, Passwordless logins etc. so that site data’s authentication can be maintained.
- Like all other, it also blocks the IP after specific login attempts.
2. Login LockDown
Login LockDown protects your site from the brute force attack by recording the IP address and the timestamp of every failed login attempt. It has over lacks of active installs.
- Login LockDown keeps the record for the number of login attempts in a certain time span.
- Login LockDown has 200,000+ active installs.
- A user will be locked out for 1 hour after user specified number of failed logins attempts.
- Login LockDown is an open source brute force protection plugin for WordPress.
3. Limit Login Attempts Reloaded
Limit Login Attempts Reloaded simply restrain the login attempts via normal login and via authentic cookies. To stop brute force attack Limit Login Attempts Reloaded plugin uses the technique so that an unauthentic user can get the site’s access.
- This Limit Login Attempts Reloaded plugin gives you the opportunity to set a definite number of login attempts for a specific IP address. So that no one can hack your information.
- It follows the GDPR guidelines.
- Over 200,000 active installs.
- You can easily Whitelist or Blacklist IPs and Usernames.
- WooCommerce login page safety is also there.
4. WP Limit Login Attempts
WP Limit Login Attempts is another powerful WordPress brute force protection plugin. to prevent brute force attack. This plugin has 40,000+ active installs and the 4.6 overall ratings.
- WP Limit Login Attempts, detect bots by Captcha verification.
- This is a really lightweight and it doesn’t put the load on the site.
- It strictly follows the GDPR guidelines.
- WP Limit Login Attempts is an open source.
- Thousands of happy customers.
5. Brute Force Login Protection
Brute Force Login Protection is a lightweight that helps to provide protection against brute force attacks. Like most others it uses the .htaccess file to help you secure your site from brute force attacks.
- Brute Force Login Protection restrain the number of login attempts.
- It gives you the opportunity to block or unblock the IP addresses.
- Option to Whitelist and Blacklist users.
- In case of failed login attempts, it can delays the next login attempt in order to throttle the attempting bots.
- It has over 20,000 active users.
Let’s Take a Break
As you are running a WordPress website let me introduce you our industry leading WordPress theme Builder called TemplateToaster. As per our users it is the easiest solution to create WordPress themes without coding. TemplateToaster is delivering results with trust since 2010. Try now! Let’s continue with the WordPress brute force protection plugins.
6. Limits Attempts by BestWebSoft
Limits Attempts by BestWebSoft is the amazing plugin which protects the site from brute force attacks and spam. It is compatible with the latest version of WordPress.
- This plugin will automatically block the IP addresses that try to log in and exceeds the number of login attempts.
- Manually marking IPs into WhiteList and Blacklist is allowed.
- You can hide information from the blocked IPs such as login, register.
- You can show any customized Captcha error message to a blocked user and an invalid attempt.
- Multilingual support.
7. Limit Login Attempts – best Brute Force Protection Plugin for WordPress
Limit Login Attempts is another popular brute force protection plugin for WordPress to guard your site against malicious activities. And the primary objective of this plugin is to provide shelter from brute force attacks.
- Limit Login Attempts keep track of login attempts and if a bot failed to login in specified time with specified login attempts, then it blocks the IP.
- It uses Google reCAPTCHA to give spam security.
- You will see remaining login attempts on the Login page once you entered wrong login details. This is because if you’re a genuine user and have mistakenly entered your login credentials wrong, then you can correct them in your next attempt. And if it is a bot then surely it will be blocked in few tries.
- It will do Inactive User Logout. That means if a user is not doing anything on the page for a specific time span then it will perform automatic logout.
8. WPS Limit Login
WPS Limit Login is a full-featured brute force login protection plugin for WordPress. By default, WordPress allows to have unlimited login attempts and this makes brute force attack somewhat easy. And there comes WPS Limit Login to rescue your site.
- WPS Limit Login restrict the number of retry attempts when trying to log in from a particular IP. you can easily customize the number of attempts you want to allow.
- It provides you multisite compatibility with some additional settings.
- Security for the WooCommerce login page as well.
- You can create a Whitelist and a Blacklist for your site.
9. BruteGuard – Brute Force Login Protection for WordPress
BruteGuard – Brute Force Login Protection is a cloud-based brute force protection plugin for WordPress which provides security against botnet attacks.
- BruteGuard – Brute Force Login Protection plugin for WordPress guard the site from the illegal access via bots.
- Hundreds of active installs.
- If it finds any malicious activity, then it immediately blocks the IP across the complete network.
So, Which Brute Force Protection Plugin for WordPress do you choose?
Now that you have got the list of Best WordPress Brute Force Protection Plugins, it is time you decide which one you will use for your site. But wait! As we all know that haste leads to waste, so I would suggest that you take some time to analyze the above-mentioned brute force plugins, and choose wisely as per your needs. Don’t rush! Make a smart choice and create your beautiful themes with TemplateToaster web design software, the best WordPress website builder ever built. you will also find free WordPress themes.
Attackers always look for weak passwords, and the vulnerable sites running outdated versions of WordPress/plugins, so it is highly recommended to keep your sites updated and have a WordPress Brute Force Protection plugin for WordPress. If you know any plugin that I missed to mention then please do share with me in the comments below.
Build a Stunning Website in Minutes with TemplateToaster Website BuilderCreate Your Own Website Now
Very useful information about Brute force Protection Plugins. Thanks for sharing.
Limit Login Attempts Plugin works best among all the above mentioned.
Thanks for the list!
Login LockDown is best plugin for Brute Force protection.