Top 6 Essential Graphic Design Software for Beginners
“What an interesting website”, is the first thought that comes to one’s mind when you open a website. It is the graphic designers and web designers who make them look so appealing.
Gone are the days when people used to just read online. Nowadays more than the words, the site has to look interesting with eye-catching visuals and interesting content, then only does the user stay on the website and use it, especially when it comes to eCommerce sites. The graphics play a major role in the outlook of your website. As a graphic designer, this is your work. And to be able to make such intriguing visuals you will require some graphic design software that will help you improvise the images, models and text that is to be shown on the website. Being new to graphic design, check out these 6 Essential software for graphic designers (both paid and free) that give a professional look to your website graphics.
Photo editing on the road was never so interesting. The automatic options bring life into your images making your work the talk of the town even if you are a newbie. With Photoshop you can easily combine multiple images and even remove unwanted objects from the image. It offers basic features like perspective correction, channel mixing, and clone stamp tool. Photoshop runs on both Windows and Mac. Photoshop is also considered the best graphic design software for beginners as it comes with many simple options like:
- Basic: Cropping, straightening, rotating and flipping.
- Auto-Fix: One touch adjustment.
- Blemish Removal: Ability to remove any spot or dirt from the image.
- Colour: Slide controls to enhance the colors of the image.
- One-Touch filter: 20 eye-catching effects to choose from.
- Image Rendering: Panoramic image option.
- Borders: Add your personal touch.
- RAW photo support: RAW format support.
- Sharing: via sites like Facebook, Revel, Twitter, Tumblr, and more.
- The Camera RAW is highly improved.
- Video editing is very simple.
- The crop tool is very effective.
- Performance is highly improvised.
- The typographic controls are improved and the great wide-angle distortion has been corrected.
- No perpetual license.
- The interface is crushing.
- Some tools lack progress bar visibility.
GIMP or GNU Image Manipulation Program is the perfect alternative to Adobe Photoshop. The professional tools make it ideal for not just graphic designers but photographers as well. The photo manipulation feature is highly enhanced. The flexibility of the tool allows you to create crystal-clear graphics. Once you begin using GIMP it will become your main desktop publishing tool. The interface is totally customizable and the full-screen mode allows you to view and edit at the same time. Yes, not all the extensive features are available still there are many features that will give you a great experience. GIMP runs on GNU/Linux, OS X, Windows and other OS. Being a cross compatible graphic design software, it has a strong support community. This is definitely a great graphic design software for beginners.
- The UI is bright and modern.
- Very easy to use.
- Comes with single windows usage.
- Have a few bugs.
- Struggles with Cintiq tablets in the initial stage.
If you want to use vector art to create logos, sketches, typography, icons or even complex illustrations for videos or mobile then Illustrator is the tool for you. You can create artwork with seamless alignment by drawing pixel-perfect shapes. With Illustrator designing could never be faster. Illustrator comes with its own plugins that help in making a blank web page into a brilliant looking web page. Some plugins are made for older versions of Ai and have a zest of new features for new versions like Creative Cloud, making it an ideal graphic design software. Being part of Creative Cloud, you get to use the app on both your desktop and Mac.
- Touch-type tool is awesome.
- The free Transform tool is very simple to use.
- Availability for windows and Mac.
- The price is high.
Inkscape, an alternative to Ai, is a professional tool ideal for vector art lovers and graphic designers who use SVG file format. The tool is perfect for Windows, Linux, OS and Mac as well. It does not matter whether you are a professional or just a person who wants to create vector images for a personal blog. In terms of sketching, coloring or making illustrations Inkscape is very easy to use. With the Ghostscript extension .eps files are easily readable. It also comes with awesome features like:
- Ability to directly edit the source code.
- Keys to move screen pixels.
- Edit clones on the canvas.
- Edit gradients.
- Fill paint-bucket with one click.
- Absolutely free.
- Endless Filters.
- New effect tools as a bonus.
- Extremely slow.
Are you an aspiring web designer and looking for a graphics editor that gives you the ability to create infinite designs without any restrictions while honing your skills at the same time? If so, you might want to check out CorelDraw, a vector graphics editor, that is hands down one of the most popular Industry Standard editors presently. CorelDraw has some cool productive functions and such an ease of use that no other vector editor can match up to.
The tools give you full control so you can get fast and dynamic results. With CorelDraw version X5 and above, you get an inbuilt organizer (Corel CONNECT) also.
With tools like Twirl, Smear, Repel and Attract – vector object editing was never so easy. The Alignment guide enables you to position objects as per your requirement. CorelDraw works smoothly with large files in Corel Photo-Paint, making it a must have in the graphic design software list. It also supports apps like Barcode wizard, Duplexing wizard, Bitstream Font Navigator, etc.
- The interface customization is ideal.
- The design is very fresh.
- The training videos are very helpful.
- Choose from perpetual license or subscription.
- The right-click gives awesome vectorization.
- Shaping docker gives maximum usage.
- No Mac version.
- Tools are hard to learn for newbies.
- Navigation is not easy.
- Navigation board is not visible.
- The freehand brush is hard to use.
Backed by the Adobe brand, InDesign is the business leader for creating clean layouts for desktop and mobile devices alike. Adobe InDesign is ideal for layout design usage like online magazines. Whether you want to create layouts for printed books, brochures or digital magazines Adobe InDesign is the tool you need. The flexibility is great as it allows you to easily drag-drop isolated layers and you can resize images with ease. Being part of Creative Cloud you get easy access to the desktop app for PC and Mac. You also get the comparison app Comp CC available for tablets and Smartphone devices including 29 desktop apps and 10 mobile apps.
You can also use Behance and Typekit services that enable you to connect your workflow between photography, videos, designing and web or app development. With Adobe Creative Sync you can share or sync all your work between your desktop and mobile apps so you can work efficiently. Once you join as a member you will get the latest updates and new features with installation decision being solely yours.
- The page layout software makes combining of text and graphics easy.
- Some versions come with preflight checklists.
- The learning curve is very high, ideal for newbies.
- The features that come with InDesign are unbelievable.
- Limited tools for creating graphics.
- The graphic tools are not as powerful.
- The adjustment of photos is limited as this is not a photo-editing software.
As a graphic designer, knowing which graphic design software to use is very important. With so many software available in the market it is not easy to pick the correct one out. With TemplateToaster you can design templates in a matter of minutes. In practically three steps you can set up your website. Though many will emphasize the usage of paid software, nevertheless free software provide equal performance and equal intriguing websites. If you are a newbie or a professional who is still trying to stand up financially then the free software is ideal to use as they are not just free but are packed with features.
Best Drag and Drop interface for Beginners to Design stunning Website Themes and Templates